Tuesday 20 November 2012

Farewells and Coming of Age.


My grandmother's funeral was just over a week ago.  She passed away with me and my mum holding her hands, aged 97. We loved her so much and were desperately sad when she left, but we were so blessed to have her stay for so long.  She lived long and she lived well. The day after my grandmother's funeral, we had a coming of age ceremony for my daughter, who is blossoming into a beautiful young woman. Both days were a celebration of beautiful strong women, one at the end of her journey in this life, and the other at the beginning of her journey into womanhood. It was a really precious time because we were able to all be together as a family, and my sister who lives abroad, was there. (I will write more about the coming of age ceremony in my next post.)
I love these photos of my grandmother holding my daughter when she was a baby.



















It all started with making butterflies...
In the week that my grandmother went into hospital, I started making butterflies. I was making them because we had already planned to have a ceremony for my daughter, and the theme was to be butterflies. But as I made them, they also became representative of the transition that was to happen with my grandmother. A couple of weeks later, as I watched her leave her body, her departure was like a butterfly leaving behind its cocoon.

 

My Grandmother, Elizabeth Helen Savage.
Feisty-spirited, tenderhearted and strong.

I miss you. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment